Accession Number : AD0278532

Title :   ICE TUNNEL CLOSURE PHENOMENA

Corporate Author : COLD REGIONS RESEARCH AND ENGINEERING LAB HANOVER N H

Personal Author(s) : ABEL,JOHN F. JR.

Report Date : JAN 1961

Pagination or Media Count : 1

Abstract : The mechanics of closure, exhibited by ice tunnels, can be understood by considering the ice as a viscous solid. The viscous solid will flow, when subjected to a force, at a rate dependent on the magnitude of the force, the area of relief open for flow, and the apparent viscosity of the viscous solid. In the case of the ice tunnels, the force inducing the flow is the weight of the overburden; the area of relief open for flow is the tunnel opening; and apparent viscosity is the resistance to flow exhibited by the ice. The closure of a rectangular opening made in ice was measured. Maximum closure occurs at the center of unsupported roof, wall, or floor spans. The vertical closure rate decreases negligibly approximately 2% from the center of a room to approximately 6 ft from the wall. From the point about 6 ft from the wall to the wall, the closure rate decreases about 30%. Approximately 30% of vertical closure at the center of the span is due to flexure of the floor and roof. The remaining 70% is due to shortening of the wall height; the major portion of this wall closure occurs at the bottom of the wall. Over 80% of closure due to flexure of the floor and roof results from flexure of the floor. (Author)

Descriptors :   GLACIERS, PLASTIC PROPERTIES, UNDERGROUND STRUCTURES

Distribution Statement : APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE