Accession Number : AD0623641

Title :   AN ANALYSIS OF LOCAL AND SYSTEMIC EFFECTS OF IONIZING RADIATION ON BONE GROWTH,

Corporate Author : NAVAL RADIOLOGICAL DEFENSE LAB SAN FRANCISCO CALIF

Personal Author(s) : Phillips,Richard D. ; Kimeldorf,Donald J.

Report Date : 03 SEP 1965

Pagination or Media Count : 29

Abstract : Radiation-induced retardation of femur and tibia growth was determined in young male rats at 60 days after total- or partial-body exposure to 450 R of x-rays. Approximately 52% of the growth reduction could be attributed to local irradiation effects on the limb, and the remaining 48% of the retardation was ascribed to systemic irradiation effects. The systemic response did not appear to be dependent upon the mass of tissue irradiated, nor upon the induction of postirradiation partial inanition. However, the region of the animal exposed did appear to be important. By exposing various regions of the body, the systemic response was subdivided into abscopal components. Head, abdomen and thorax irradiation yielded 42%, 40% and 18%, respectively, of the total systemic effect. The local and abscopal responses appear to be additive rather than synergistic, with the total radiation effect the resultant sum of the abscopal and local components. (Author)

Descriptors :   (*RADIATION EFFECTS, BONES), (*BONES, RADIATION EFFECTS), WHOLE BODY IRRADIATION, PARTIAL BODY IRRADIATION, X RAYS, GROWTH(PHYSIOLOGY), TISSUES(BIOLOGY), HEAD(ANATOMY), ABDOMEN, THORAX, RATS

Distribution Statement : APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE