Accession Number : AD0659907

Title :   EFFECT OF SYNOPTIC FRONTS ON THE QUALITY OF IMAGES,

Corporate Author : FOREIGN TECHNOLOGY DIV WRIGHT-PATTERSON AFB OHIO

Personal Author(s) : Kucherov,N. I.

Report Date : 20 APR 1967

Pagination or Media Count : 18

Abstract : A comparison of optical instability of the atmosphere (by means of the turbulence angle) and the mean square amplitude of light tremor of a star shows a considerable difference for different observatories. It is suggested that the variation is due to weather fronts. Observations show that the image is good (i.e., the angle of turbulence is small and stable) when frontal activity is absent; the image worsens when a frontal zone approaches; and the image improves as the frontal zone recedes. Observations were made at Chapal, Krasnyye Gory, and Privetnoye during 1961-62, and 75% of the observations attest to the above-stated relationship. Of the remaining 25%, 15% show a good image despite the presence of a front or a poor image though no front appeared to be present; 10% were doubtful examples because of uncertain synoptic analysis. It is pointed out that the synoptic fronts were chiefly cold fronts. Turbulent movements near the surface of a warm front are less well defined than in the zone of a cold front because of the very small slope of warm fronts and of smaller horizontal temperature gradients. The author believes that the statistically demonstrated relationship sheds light on many properties of astroclimate, and he suggests that it offers some promise for locating future astronomical observatories. (Author)

Descriptors :   (*ATMOSPHERICS, *ATMOSPHERIC MOTION), ASTRONOMICAL OBSERVATORIES, ATMOSPHERIC REFRACTION, REFRACTIVE INDEX, OPTICS, WEATHER, TEMPERATURE, STABILITY, USSR

Subject Categories : Atmospheric Physics

Distribution Statement : APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE