Accession Number : AD0669419

Title :   AN IMMEDIATE-ACCESS BUFFER (MEMORY UNIT) FOR AN ELECTRONIC COMPUTER (BUFERNOE OPERATIVNOE ZAPOMINAYUSHCHEE USTROISTVO DLYA ELEKTRONNOI VYCHISLITELNOI MASHINY),

Corporate Author : FOREIGN TECHNOLOGY DIV WRIGHT-PATTERSON AFB OHIO

Personal Author(s) : Fedorov,V. A.

Report Date : 07 JUL 1967

Pagination or Media Count : 20

Abstract : A buffer operational storage device (BOZU) based on magnetic operational storage devices and buffer coordinating units is used to operate the computer complex for weather forecasting at the SSSR World Meteorological Center. The BOZU provides simultaneous storage of information from different devices with the proper ordering and preprocessing of this information. It also controls the operation of all devices connected with the computer. In one array of the complex the unit automatically receives data from communications channels and records it on one of several buffer tapes to abbreviate the computer input process. The system can also predigest punched cards to expedite their input. The BOZU also accepts the computer output and expedites the dispatch of this information to such associated equipment as automatic chart plotters and weather forecast transmission channels. The computer time utilization is so efficiently coordinated that in one of the most complex operational modes the receiving and transmitting of information from the computer requires only 30% of the computer time, leaving the remaining 70% for computer analysis.

Descriptors :   (*DATA PROCESSING, *MEMORY DEVICES), (*WEATHER FORECASTING, DATA PROCESSING), DATA TRANSMISSION SYSTEMS, CONTROL, MAGNETIC RECORDING SYSTEMS, MAGNETIC TAPE, PUNCHED CARDS, USSR

Subject Categories : Meteorology
      Computer Hardware

Distribution Statement : APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE