Accession Number : AD0883639

Title :   Fluidic Sensor Temperature Indicating System.

Descriptive Note : Final rept. 1 Jul 69-24 Jul 70,

Corporate Author : GENERAL MOTORS CORP INDIANAPOLIS IN ALLISON GAS TURBINE DIV

Personal Author(s) : Hahn, Kent L.

Report Date : APR 1971

Pagination or Media Count : 175

Abstract : A fluidic sensor temperature indicating system designed by Honeywell Inc was tested on a T56 engine during dynamometer calibration. It was also endurance tested and subjected to a heat transfer analysis. During the dynamometer test phase, sea level temperature indications of the sensor system ranged from 50 to 150F above those of the standard engine thermocouple system; at 30,000 ft simulated altitude, both systems gave essentially the same temperature readings. At the end of the 150-hr endurance test the fluidic sensor calibration was in a range of 40F to 100F lower than at the start. Pre- and postendurance transient data showed the fluidic sensor to respond much faster than the engine thermocouples for roughly 80% of a turbine inlet temperature change but much slower than the thermocouples for the remaining 20% of the change. In the heat transfer study, digital computer calculations based on the sensor being mounted in a T56 engine showed a hot gas temperature drop from 1970F at the sensor entrance to 1760F in the sensor pulsation cavity. According to the calculations, this temperature drop can be effectively reduced by increasing the flow of hot gas. Transient analysis shows an immediate response of the gas temperature in the sensor cavity to 75% of a step change; 4.5 seconds are required to complete 63% of the remainder of the change. Doubling the flow of hot gas reduces the time to 3.5 seconds. (Author)

Descriptors :   (*TEMPERATURE SENSITIVE ELEMENTS, DETECTORS), (*DETECTORS, RELIABILITY), (*TURBOJET INLETS, TEMPERATURE), HEAT TRANSFER, FLUID AMPLIFIERS, SENSITIVITY, TEST EQUIPMENT, TEST METHODS.

Subject Categories : Fluidics and Fluerics
      Thermodynamics
      Jet and Gas Turbine Engines

Distribution Statement : APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE