Accession Number : ADA114587

Title :   Lake Erie Water Level Study. Appendix D. Commercial Navigation.

Descriptive Note : Final rept.

Corporate Author : INTERNATIONAL LAKE ERIE REGULATION STUDY BOARD

PDF Url : ADA114587

Report Date : Jul 1981

Pagination or Media Count : 153

Abstract : The Commercial Navigation Appendix describes the effects of limited regulation of Lake Erie on commercial navigation interests within the Great Lakes - St. Lawrence River system. The effects on navigation were determined by comparing the transportation costs under limited regulation of Lake Erie, with the costs under the present Lake Erie outlet conditions. Transportation costs were determined for the four bulk commodities of iron ore, coal, limestone, and grain which comprise nearly 85 percent of all Great Lakes traffic. Evaluation of commodities comprising the remaining 15 percent would not affect significantly the results. The analysis involved forecasting of major operational elements of the navigation system, such as vessel characteristics, vessel operating costs, traffic volumes, trade routes, etc. Transportation costs for 1985, 2000, and 2035 were determined using a computer model which calculated effects on vessel loading and therefore transportation cost using the water level regime determined in the International Lake Erie Regulation Study. (Author)

Descriptors :   *Lake Erie, *Water traffic, Surface navigation, Commerce, Economic impact, Elevation, Level(Quantity), Control, Channels(Waterways), Dredging, Computerized simulation, Computer programs

Subject Categories : Economics and Cost Analysis
      Civil Engineering

Distribution Statement : APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE