Accession Number : ADA193137

Title :   A Review of Parallel Methods for Solving Sets of Linear Equations and their Application within Optimisation Algorithms.

Descriptive Note : Interim rept. no. 1,

Corporate Author : HATFIELD POLYTECHNIC (ENGLAND) NUMERICAL OPTIMISATION CENTRE

Personal Author(s) : Dixon, L C

PDF Url : ADA193137

Report Date : Nov 1987

Pagination or Media Count : 22

Abstract : When solving optimisation problems on a parallel computing system, the first consideration must be to utilize the parallelism to speed up the 95% of the time typically spent in function and gradient evaluations or the division of each function evaluation into a number of parallel tasks. Assuming this prime task has been undertaken effectively then for efficiency the other 5% of the computation must also utilize the parallelism available on the system. The dominant remaining calculation is usually the solution of a set of linear equations. In this paper the implication of parallel processing on the solution method for solving linear equations will be reviewed.

Descriptors :   *PARALLEL PROCESSING, GRADIENTS, LINEAR DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS, TEST AND EVALUATION, COMPUTER APPLICATIONS, SOLUTIONS(GENERAL), GREAT BRITAIN

Subject Categories : Computer Programming and Software

Distribution Statement : APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE