Accession Number : ADA297577

Title :   Public and Private Roles in Maintaining Military Equipment at the Depot Level,

Corporate Author : CONGRESSIONAL BUDGET OFFICE (U S CONGRESS) WASHINGTON DC

Personal Author(s) : Clay-Mendez, Deborah

PDF Url : ADA297577

Report Date : JUL 1995

Pagination or Media Count : 67

Abstract : The collapse of the Soviet threat and declines in the resources available for national defense have led the United States to rapidly decrease the size of its military forces. As that drawdown nears completion, policymakers are increasingly free to focus on fundamental questions about the roles and missions of the military services in the post-Cold War era. Among the issues to be resolved are the appropriate roles of the public and private sectors in maintaining military equipment at the depot level. Depot-level maintenance consists of overhauls, repairs, and modifications that can be performed more efficiently at centralized industrial facilities than at each combat installation where military units train. In 1995, the Department of Defense (DoD) plans to spend almost $13 billion on such maintenance. It will spend over $9 billion, or approximately 70 percent of the total, for work performed by 95,000 DoD civilian and military personnel in 30 government-owned maintenance depots. It will pay the remaining 30 percent for services that firms in the private sector supply. In 1993, funds obligated by DoD for maintaining equipment went to more than 1,200 private contractors. p1

Descriptors :   *MILITARY EQUIPMENT, *SUPPLY DEPOTS, MAINTENANCE, MILITARY FORCES(UNITED STATES), USSR, MILITARY PERSONNEL, WARFARE, DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE, UNITED STATES, ORGANIZATIONS, THREATS, REPAIR, INSTALLATION, CIVILIAN PERSONNEL, INDUSTRIAL PLANTS, CENTRALIZED, NATIONAL DEFENSE.

Subject Categories : Logistics, Military Facilities and Supplies

Distribution Statement : APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE