Accession Number : ADA316672
Title : A Documentary History of Pitts Point: A River Town in Bullitt County, Kentucky.
Descriptive Note : Final rept. Nov 94-May 96,
Corporate Author : KENTUCKY UNIV LEXINGTON DEPT OF ANTHROPOLOGY
Personal Author(s) : O'Malley, Nancy
PDF Url : ADA316672
Report Date : 1996
Pagination or Media Count : 145
Abstract : This research concerns the history of a small town in Bullitt County, originally called 'Pittstown', later Pitts Point. Pitts Point lay immediately east of the confluence of the Salt and Rolling Fork Rivers. The town was acquired by the United States of America in the early 194Os as part of an expansion of the Fort Knox Military Reservation. Its conversion to military land spelled the end of the town, although it had long passed its heyday by 1942. This report seeks to present a detailed documentary review of a variety of written records that deal with the establishment of Pitts Point, its town plan, its owners and occupants, businesses that operated there, and its chronology. The opening chapter outlines the establishment of the town, its founders, the nature of its original plan, subsequent additions and its growth. The next section deals with sales of town lots, each discussed separately, from the first buyers to military acquisition. This sets the stage for the next section, devoted to the town's population and how it changed through time. The final sections concern the known historic archaeological resources associated with Pitts Point and present recommendations for additional work to more completely document extant sites.
Descriptors : *MILITARY FACILITIES, *HISTORY, *KENTUCKY, RECORDS, LAND USE.
Subject Categories : Humanities and History
Military Forces and Organizations
Distribution Statement : APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE